This lovely three-bedroom apartment on two floors, with stunning terrace, in the charming walled Umbrian town of Città di Castello, has all the comforts needed in a full-time home, but would also make a perfect lock-and-leave holiday property or a luxury rental apartment (with an already established business). It is ideally located on the 2nd-floor of a palazzo in the old- town centre, just a stone’s throw from the main square and wonderful restaurants, bars and shops.
- Location: historic centre of Città di Castello, Umbria; close to main square. To view the town in Google Earth, please visit the Location tab.
- Size: 110sqm, plus 40sqm ground-floor storage space and/or garage for a small car
- External area: 12sqm roof terrace; 3sqm breakfast terrace; 2sqm entrance terrace
- Condition: recently restored to a very high standard
- Utilities: energy-efficient heating system
- Floor: 2nd floor
- Layout: on two floors, with internal wood and wrought iron staircase
- Total rooms: 7
- Bedrooms: 3
- Bathrooms: 2
- PRICE: €270,000
This 2nd-floor apartment is in a ‘palazzo’ in a quiet cobbled street in the historic centre of Città di Castello, on Umbria’s border with Tuscany. There are five other apartments within the same building. The entrance hall and staircase are well maintained and the broad stone steps allow easy access to the apartment.
We renovated this apartment with much love and care for our family’s use as a pied-a-terre in town, using ecologically friendly materials and retaining as much of its original character as possible.
The apartment has a variety of original and very lovely floors, as well as its original doors, wooden beams and other features. The old windows could not be salvaged, and were replaced with old-style wood-framed windows with double-glazed glass. It has an energy-efficient heating system (with a condensing boiler, large low-temperature radiators and thermostats on each floor) and a ventilated roof for maximum insulation.
- Spacious entrance hall, with cloakroom, stone floor tiles and a broad archway, leading to:
- Large living room with polished terracotta tiles and a wrought iron and wood staircase leading to the upper floor
- Large independent kitchen, with original fireplace, ornate original floor tiles, utility cupboard and French windows onto a small terrace ideal for al fresco breakfasts
- Master bedroom with coloured stone floor tiles
- Bathroom, with bath/shower, toilet, washbasin and bidet
Upper floor (converted attic space):
- Hallway, leading to terrace
- Second bedroom, with large Velux skylight
- Additional bedroom/study, with large glass doors leading to terrace
- Small bathroom, with toilet and washbasin
- A 12sqm terrace, with hard-wood decking and views over old-town roof-tops to Città di Castello’s architectural highlight, the Cylindrical Tower, and the hills beyond the city walls
- The whole upper level has natural-fibre sisal carpet
The apartment has its own 40sqm ‘fondo’ or storage space on the ground floor, with direct access from the street. It has a narrow entrance, but can accommodate a small car.
Click on photos to see larger images and to scroll through.
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-42333664-1’, ‘greenhouseumbria.com’);